If you’re considering making the switch from smoking to vaping (or are just interested in vaping as a hobby), and you’re looking for a quick vaping guide, you’ve come to the right place. Simply put, vaping is the act of using an e-cigarette or similar device to inhale and exhale the vapour it produces. The e-liquid inside is heated up to create the vapour, which provides the user with a nicotine hit without the smoke, tar, ash, and smell associated with smoking traditional cigarettes.
Anatomy of a vape
An e-cigarette (also called a vape or vape mod) contains a few main elements:
- The battery. Your battery is the powerhouse behind your e-cigarette. It provides the energy needed to heat the e-juice and create the vapour for you to inhale. Smaller e-cigs, such as cigalikes, have the battery built into the device. Batteries are generally larger, replaceable, and rechargeable in more complicated devices.
- Atomiser, coil, and wick. The battery supplies power to the atomiser, or the part that houses the wick and heating coil. The atomiser is usually found inside the tank itself, although advanced vapers sometimes choose standalone atomisers. The wick carries the e-juice from the tank to the coil for heating.
- Cartomisers, clearomisers, and tanks. These components are all subsets of the broader category of “tanks.” Your tank holds your vape juice. Cartomisers and clearomisers unscrew from your main device when you need to fill your tank. The main differences between the two are that clearomisers have transparent panes that allow you to see how much e-liquid you have left, they use silica wicks, and they are generally easier to clean and maintain.
Vape juice, also known as e-liquid or e-juice, is a key element for a Vape Shops Online beginner to understand. This liquid is held inside the tank until it gets heated in the atomiser. If you purchase a disposable e-cigarette, it will come prefilled with vape juice; otherwise, you will buy your juice separately from your device. The main ingredients in e-liquid are propylene glycol (PG), vegetable glycerin (VG), food flavourings, and, usually, nicotine (although there are nicotine-free e-liquids available). You can find an endless array of flavour choices and nicotine strengths to suit your liking. In fact, you’ll probably find that one of the most fun parts of vaping is trying new e-liquids and discovering new favourite flavours.
Type of e-cigs
There are a few main types of vaping devices and many different varieties within these categories. In general, the main type of vapes include:
- Cigalikes: Just as the name suggests, cigalikes resemble traditional cigarettes in size and shape. They are extremely portable and easy to use and are perfect as a beginner vape. However, they can cost more in the long run as you keep replacing them, so most vapers eventually switch to something a little more advanced.
- Vape pens: While cigalikes come in two parts (the cartridge and the battery), vape pens are a little bigger and come in three parts (the battery, clearomiser, and mouthpiece). These devices are reusable and, therefore, more cost-effective to use than disposables. They can also deliver better performance, style, and flavour.
- Box mods: Vape mods feature larger batteries and coils, which allow them to produce more vapour for longer periods. These devices come with a clearomiser, atomiser, battery, and mouthpiece, and are ideal for experienced vapers (although anyone can learn how to use and maintain them).